Swiss and Dutch HL7 News
Publication date: Dec 31, 2008
Updates from HL7 Switzerland (a new CDA implementation guide; RIMBAA) and HL7 Netherlands (their national conference held in December 2008).
The end of 2008 nears, so allow me to report on two videos I made in 2008 but for which I haven't found the time yet to write a blogpost.
The first video is about the use of HL7 in Switzerland, and the second one is about the annual HL7 Conference organized by HL7 Netherlands.
HL7 Switzerland was founded in 2000, with a focus on HL7 v2 messages (mainly ADT and Lab results). HL7 version 2 is used by almost all hospitals.
In terms of the creation of a nationwide EHR Switzerland has to deal with the fact that it has 26 cantons (states), each of which is autonomous to a large degree. Each canton has its own laws when it comes to healthcare and the use of IT in healthcare. The national Swiss government is working on a national e-health strategy.
Tony Schaller, consultant with medshare GmbH and chair of the Swiss CDA Working group, sees a change in focus of HL7 Switzerland: HL7 v3 has come within focus of HL7 Switzerland, and their are some pilot projects that have implemented CDA.
The new Swiss HL7 v3 CDA implementation guide (created by HL7 Switzerland, in cooperation with lots of Swiss organizations and software vendors) covers all documents (about 10 different types) needed to support the "hip replacement" clinical pathway. This implementation guide (available in four different languages) covers all of the requirements of the national e-health initiative. CDA promises to be "the" HL7 standard for Swiss healthcare.
Ronald Griessen, software architect with MCS Parametrix, observes that his employer, Parametrix - the biggest medical information system vendor in Switzerland has been using a RIM based architecture (RIMBAA for over four years.
Their application has to be very flexible and adaptable, and four years ago they were looking for a generic model, and decided to use the HL7 RIM model as a generic architectural model. Their current application has a core model which is strongly influenced by the RIM. Ronald sees a benefit of the HL7 RIM above and beyond the peripherical application integration layer: inside of an application, as an architectural model.
Update (2009-04-02): see Die e-health Strategie in der Schweiz (in German) for a high level description of the Swiss nationwide EHR project.
In december of 2008 HL7 Netherlands held its annual conference with over 125 attendees. Additional chairs had to be brought into the room to facilitate all attendees. As usual this one-day conference contained a mixture of v2 and v3, the relationship between HL7 and AORTA (the Dutch national healthcare IT infrastructure).
Some of the highlights were:
The full video (in Dutch!) can be viewed here:
- Adri Burggraaff, of the IT department of the Slotervaart Ziekenhuis in Amsterdam, held a passonate talk about the requirement for all Dutch applications to migrate to HL7 version 2.4. As of June 3009 there is a legal requirement to send the 'national person identifier' (BSN) in HL7 v2 messages - something that's simply not possible
- Alexander Henket, consultant with E-Novation, observes that CDA in the Dutch conetext is something that will be on the increase, it will be compared to messages however, given the long history of HL7 messages in the Netherlands.
- Ewout Kramer, architect with Furore, held a presentations about the clinical statement model and templates. He compared the design of templates for clinical statements to 'software design patterns' as used in the development of software.
All the best for 2009!
PermaLink to this page: http://www.ringholm.com/column/2008_hl7_switzerland_netherlands.htm
Index of columns:
- FHIR DevDays and the year in review (Dec 27, 2018)
- Creation and Curation of FHIR Profiles - process and governance (Dec 14, 2017)
- De Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming (AVG) in de zorg (Dutch, Sep 19, 2017)
- Impact of the GDPR on the use of interoperability standards (Jun 27, 2017)
- News from the FHIR DevDays in Amsterdam (Dec 15, 2016)
- Next XDS Release (Oct 27, 2016)
- Five years of FHIR (Aug 11, 2016)
- Interoperability projects in Ireland - FHIReland (Mar 14, 2016)
- 2016 FHIR Jedi Calendar (Jan 06, 2016)
- Top 10 HL7 videos watched in 2015 (Dec 24, 2015)
- Update from the trenches on CDA R2.1/R3 and HL7v2. (Oct 15, 2015)
- FHIR DevDays - UK GP System APIs (Sep 16, 2015)
- IHE XDS - testing and implementation tools (Aug 25, 2015)
- Most often implemented IHE Profiles (Jun 08, 2015)
- Why we sponsor the HL7 WGM (May 10, 2015)
- FHIR in Paris (Apr 21, 2015)
- Mapping HL7v2 messages to FHIR. (Apr 13, 2015)
- Analysis of CDA R2 testing tools - most requirements are neither tested nor respected. (Feb 13, 2015)
- HL7 and IHE in Sweden (Feb 08, 2015)
- 2015 FHIR Chiefs Calendar (Jan 07, 2015)
- The Merry FHIR Choir caroling the 12 Days of Christmas (Dec 09, 2014)
- Chicago FHIR Update (Oct 13, 2014)
- Internationalization of HL7 (Sep 25, 2014)
- New XDS Advanced training course on offer by IHE Services and IHE Academy (Jul 14, 2014)
- Recent and Future developments of the DICOM standard (Mar 06, 2014)
- Top 10 HL7 videos watched in 2013 (Jan 02, 2014)
- Report from the HL7 WGM in Cambridge (Oct 16, 2013)
- Documenting the history of HL7 (Sep 03, 2013)
- Histology Lab Device Automation using HL7 version 2 (Jul 23, 2013)
- HL7 FHIR Elevator Pitch (Jul 15, 2013)
- Interoperability Standards - the no-sales pitch (Jul 09, 2013)
- HL7 UK - new landscape, new opportunities (Jun 26, 2013)
- Validation and error correction at the IHE Connectathon (Apr 25, 2013)
- CDA Implementation Guides - (not) invented here (Apr 17, 2013)
- Usage of IHE Profiles (Feb 25, 2013)
- 10 year anniversary - Dutch Ringholm HL7 v2 training courses. (Feb 19, 2013)
- About IHE Academy and new IHE training courses (Jan 12, 2013)
- CDA implementation experiences in the UK (Dec 04, 2012)
- Musings on free HL7 IP (Oct 01, 2012)
- HL7 Connectathons (Sep 09, 2012)
- Renovate HL7 version 3 (Aug 03, 2012)
- Frequency of use of HL7 message types (Jul 24, 2012)
- Lighting the FHIR, HL7s new major interoperability standard (Jun 15, 2012)
- Reflections on the HL7 membership model - the affiliate life cycle (Dec 28, 2011)
- Thinking like an OWL reasoner (Sep 17, 2011)
- RFH (Resources for Health): HL7 version 3 taken to the next step (Aug 18, 2011)
- What's so great about the HL7 organization? (Aug 04, 2011)
- Kerndossier: een Nederlandse versie van CCD (Dutch, May 03, 2011)
- A HL7 RIMBAA update (Apr 21, 2011)
- Timezone Hotel (Mar 29, 2011)
- HL7 and openEHR are cooperating (finally) (Jan 21, 2011)
- Increasing demand for IHE training courses (Dec 18, 2010)
- Context issues with the IHE QED profile (Dec 15, 2010)
- The changing role of HL7 country organizations (Jul 16, 2010)
- Implementing HL7 version 3 - the book (May 06, 2010)
- Adding openness to a closed world (Feb 09, 2010)
- How to lower the hurdle for HL7 v3 implementers (Jan 21, 2010)
- HL7 v3 deployment statistics (Dec 17, 2009)
- There's Trouble in Paradigm (Sep 25, 2009)
- Internationalization of HL7 (Sep 24, 2009)
- HL7 UK signs deal with Ringholm to deliver HL7 v2/v3 training courses in London (Sep 17, 2009)
- The use of HL7 in South Africa (Aug 20, 2009)
- The Next Web Conference in Amsterdam (Apr 17, 2009)
- The HL7 UK AGM and RIMBAA (Apr 16, 2009)
- The HL7 Wiki reaches 2000 pages (Mar 02, 2009)
- The HL7 roadmap for CDA R3 and the CCD (Jan 17, 2009)
- HL7 Affiliates Meeting in Orlando (Jan 11, 2009)
- Swiss and Dutch HL7 News (Dec 31, 2008)
- Devices and Prizes (Nov 22, 2008)
- HL7 in Norway: a situation report (Sep 02, 2008)
- Russian whitepaper (Jul 09, 2008)
- The HL7 Interoperability Conference - IHIC 2008 (May 30, 2008)
- HL7 creates a RIM Based Application Architecture (RIMBAA) group (May 18, 2008)
- Notes from the HL7 WGM in Phoenix (May 08, 2008)
- Germany embraces CDA eReferral document specification (May 02, 2008)
- HL7 v3 RIM based applications: an unintended side effect (Jan 19, 2008)
- Collaborative Tools (Jun 21, 2007)
- HL7 ist Pflicht in der deutschen Telematikinfrastruktur (German, Mar 16, 2007)
- HL7 based Tree inventory system (Jan 30, 2007)
- The link between HL7 and Open Source Software (Jan 06, 2007)
- Workflow Bribery (Sep 15, 2006)
- Timezones in HL7 (Jan 23, 2004)
- Controlled vocabularies: "@*%!!!" ? (Sep 01, 2003)
- Trusting the other Party (Nov 01, 2002)
About Ringholm bv
Ringholm bv is a group of European experts in the field of messaging standards and systems integration in healthcare IT.
We provide the industry's most advanced training courses and consulting on healthcare information exchange standards.
See http://www.ringholm.com or call +31 33 7 630 636 for additional information.
Rene is the Tutor-in-chief of Ringholm.